Motocyclopedia is site devoted to organizing and categorizing motorcycle models from around the world.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The History of the Muscle Bike

A little while ago I was thinking about "muscle bikes". I tried to create a list of all the muscle bikes throughout history. What I came up with was a handful of essays that chronicled the evolution of this particular market segment. Every decade or so had a new twist on the age old idea, and each era had its own list of bikes. So rather than present the whole thing in one long saga I though I'd break it up into several parts, and not in any particular order.

Before I start I should probably explain what I classify as a "muscle bike". First what is a muscle bike? A muscle bike is any motorcycle that emphasizes power and speed above all else. For muscle bikes the engine is king, abilities in braking and handling take a back seat to raw power. Because of this it is difficult to classify what is a muscle bike and what is not.

No comments: